Big News (followed by cookies)

I have some big news to share with you today! Are you sitting down? Don't worry, I promise you'll get cookies after. Just remember, no matter how surprised you are...you'll get cookies when I'm done.
I'm excited to announce that Simon and I are expecting a little addition to our family! He or she is due to arrive in mid April 2014! We are so excited and can't wait to meet our first baby! I'm about 13 weeks along and we've been working hard to prepare since we found out. It looks like Simon and I will be moving to Berlin in early November, and I will be taking a short leave from work to be a momma! Simon already has a stroller picked out and we've been debating on names for a couple weeks now. Simba and Snookie are excited to have a little human sibling too (at least it seems like it). Simba has taken to laying on my tummy the last couple of months and Snooks is a little more cuddly at night. They definitely know somethings up. Cats are smart like that. Anyways, I get to break the news at work next week and announce my leaving. I know they won't be too happy about losing me but I'm excited for the break, and even more excited about baby!

I probably should have had cookies prepared when I broke the news to my parents. They were delighted by the surprise but were simply inconsolable when I mentioned the move. Of course they're worried about not seeing their grand baby enough, but as I told them, its only an 8 hour flight, and we'll be back frequently.
 
It feels like I've read a million books and articles and studies just trying to feel prepared for the big change, but my favorite so far has to be this great little book I found at the Library. Its called CHERISH The First 6 Weeks by Helen Moon.


Its written from the perspective of a professional baby nurse, and discusses the benefits of routine and consistency in a baby's life, while claiming the plan laid out in the book will have your newborn sleeping through the night by 6 weeks. Of course I don't think bringing home a new baby is going to a cake walk, but to be honest, I'm not exactly stressing out. I'm more excited than anything and looking forward to being a mom!

Anyways, I promised cookies. Anyone that has followed me for very long knows that baking and I do not get along well. I've made it my mission this year to conquer baking (cuz how can you be a halfway decent mom if you can't bake, right?) and am starting with cookies. I successfully made a batch of perfectly cooked sugar cookies last weekend, but failed miserably on the icing. That's still a work in progress. As soon as I figure out that mystery I'll post a recipe. This week I thought I'd try my hand at a classic. Chocolate Chip Cookies. The uncooked batter is still my favorite part of chocolate chip cookies, but I think I did a pretty good job overall. Please excuse the terrible lighting in my photos!


All American Chocolate Chip Cookies

Ingredients

2 1/4 Cups AP Flour
1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
1 Teaspoon Salt
2 Sticks Butter, Softened
3/4 Cup Granulated Sugar
3/4 Cup Packed Brown Sugar
1 Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
1 Teaspoon Cinnamon
2 Large Eggs
1 Package Semi Sweet Chocolate Chips

Instructions

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees Farenheit

2. Combine flour, baking soda and salt in small bowl. Beat butter, granulated sugar, brown sugar, vanilla extract, and cinnamon in mixing bowl until creamy. Beat in eggs one at a time. Mix until well blended. 

3. Gradually beat in flour mixture.

4. Stir in chocolate chips.

5. Drop rounded tablespoons onto ungreased baking sheets.

6. Bake for about 11 minuets (until golden brown).

7. Cool on baking sheet, then transfer to rack to cool completely.


This part of the recipe is my favorite. Butter mixed with brown sugar is amazing. Its obviously the most terrible combination of foods in the world (Sugar and butter? Can you say fat kid?), but its the whole reason I make cookies.








No comments:

Post a Comment